Packing for university can be tricky, so we’ve made a list to help you get started. Remember, if you are moving from overseas, you can purchase all of these items through Amazon or other online retailers, or you can use UniKitOut to purchase a pack of items that will be available on your arrive.
These are just our suggestions:
- Duvet, cover and blanket
- Sheets (make sure to check your bed size before purchasing)
- Pillows & cases
- Clothes hangers
- Extension leads or adapters (note that using high voltage items such as straighteners or dryers won’t work with an adapter)
- Laundry bag
- Decor for your rom
In some halls you’ll be sharing a bathroom while in others you will have your own. Here are some of the bathroom essentials (but remember you can purchase online when you’ve arrived:)
- Bath and hand towels
- Toothbrush holder
- Bath mat
- Hair dryer
- Toiletries: Shower gel , shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, moisturiser, toilet roll deodorant…
- Medication – make sure you have enough to get you through the isolation period if needed
- Cleaning supplies
You might need the following items but we recommend moving in first and seeing what your flatmates have already brought with them. You can always buy these items online or at a local shop once you’ve arrived.
- Frying pan
- Chopping board
- Oven gloves
- Mixing bowl
- Cloth/tea towels
- Sponge & surface cleaner
- Sharp knives
- Cutlery: forks, spoons, knives
- Tin opener
- Folders & plastic wallets
- Black & blue pens
- Textbooks/reading list
- USB (to back up your work!)
- Insurance documents/accomodation documents
- Bank details/bank statement
- National Insurance number
- Pyjamas (mind for 3am fire alarms, happens once a year at least!)
- Slippers/flip flops
- Everyday clothes: Jeans, t-shirts, socks, trainers… whatever your style may be!
- Winter clothes: Coats, raincoat, sweaters, sweatshirts, boots
- Formal/smart clothes: For a job interview, a nice dinner or the society awards!
- Sports clothes
Handy & personal items:
- Sewing kit
- Deck of cards
- Refillable water bottle
- Sleep mask
What not to bring
- Pets (seriously)
I hope this has made it easier for you!
If you forget any of these don’t worry! There are plenty of shops around uni where you can also buy all of these upon arrival, such as: TK Maxx, Primark, Matalan, Sainsbury’s, Wilko and IKEA.
And find lovely decoration at shops like: Tiger, H&M, Urban Outfitters.
If you need any more help you can always contact one of our lovely team members!